user_mobilelogo

A fortification as a refuge and defensive site for the first settlers existed before the turn of the millennium, and the construction of a brick castle on high ground probably dates back to the 11th century.

In 1197, a Ruedeger de Senftenberc was named for the first time.

1233 follows the first documentary mention of a castle Senftenberg as property of Karl von Gutrat.

The next owners to appear were the lords of Wallsee, under whom the castle was conquered and destroyed by cunning in the course of the battles for guardianship over Duke Albrecht V. in 1407 or 1409.

In 1483 the property was transferred by marriage to the Counts of Schaunberg from Eferding, who employed caretakers to look after the castle.

Around 1520 the Chronk of Krems reports about the stay of the dreaded Heckenreiter (highwaymen) in the castle, 1529 it serves as a refuge from the Turks. The Schaunberger were followed by the Counts of Grünbichel, who lost the fortress to the Princes of Eggenberg in 1625 because of their Protestant faith.

In June 1645 the Swedes under General Torstenson conquered the castle, set fires and let it burn out completely. Since then it has been a ruin.

In 1717 Emperor Charles VI gave the dominion of Senftenberg to the Counts of Starhemberg, who still own the ruins today.